|Photo: Bill Tarpenning|
Bubble and Squeak--Perfect for Cold or Rainy Days
I don't even remember how long ago it was that my sister made this soup for us. We were all at my mother's and father's house at the river, in all about 12 people. My sister made home made pita bread, dipped up some of the cabbage, potatoes, and beef, and stuffed the pita bread with it. It was delicious.
Though I love soup and would eat it year round, my husband only likes soup when it is cold outside. So, I make this soup often during the cold and rainy months of the year. I sometimes serve it with cornbread instead of pita bread, but either way is really good.
I don't have her exact recipe, so this may be a bit different than hers, but this is the way I have made bubble and squeak for many years.
Bubble and Squeak - Cabbage and Beef Recipe
|The Best Minced Garlic|
I Have Found
- 2 lbs. ground meat
- 3 lbs. potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch slices
- 2 large onions, cut in half and then quartered
- 1 large head of cabbage, cut into 1/2 inch slices and separated
- 1 or 2 tbsp. fresh minced garlic, depending on taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Lightly spray a 6 to 8 quart soup pot with cooking spray.
- Press the hamburger into the bottom of the pan.
- Lightly salt and pepper the meat.
- Add the cabbage, then the garlic and onion.
- Top with the sliced potatoes.
- Add enough water to cover the potatoes and have one or two inches water above the potatoes.
- Salt and pepper again.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until potatoes are tender, about 30 to 45 minutes. When the potatoes are done, everything else will be done, too.
Check out my pita bread recipes post.
Do you like cabbage soup?
Please Comment Below
Post a Comment