I can't remember many times when we visited my mother-in-law's house that there were not fresh Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies available.
She loved to bake, especially for her grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
You never knew what she would have in the cookie jar.
It might be snickerdoodles, sugar cookies, chocolate chip cookies, or orange drop cookies (make like chocolate chip cookies, but instead of chocolate chips, use cut up candy orange slices).
One of her favorite cookies to bake was the oatmeal, chocolate chip, pecan cookie recipe below. All the kids loved raiding her kitchen for the delicious treats she kept on hand for them!
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookie Recipe
- 3 cup sifted flour
- 2 tsp. soda
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 cup shortening
- 1 ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp. hot water
- 1 ½ cup chopped pecans
- 2 lg. pkg. chocolate chips
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 4 cups regular oatmeal (not quick cooking kind)
- Sift flour once before measuring, and then sift with soda and salt.
- Cream shortening and add sugar gradually creaming until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each, and then add hot water.
- In a separate bowl, sift dry ingredients, except oatmeal.
- Add vanilla, then nuts and chocolate chips.
- Mix in dry ingredients.
- Add oatmeal gradually and mix well.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls on cookies sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees until cookies begin to brown around the edge.
- Remove from oven and let set for a few minutes before removing with spatula to cool. Makes about 5 dozen.