|Photo: Sausage, Rice, & Beans by Linda Pogue|
Years ago, before my first grandchild was born, I was trying to decide what to fix for supper. There were five us to eat that night, my husband, son, daughter, her husband, and I. I hadn't been to the store for a while, and didn't want to go that night.
I found the sausage in my freezer, canned tomatoes, canned kidney beans, and rice in my cabinet. I only had one ring of sausage, not enough for everyone, so I decided to make a rice dish out of it without knowing if it would be good. The family loved it so much, we have been making this dish ever since.
Sausage, Rice, and Beans Recipe
- 4 cups rice, washed, drained, and put in large pot (I use an 8 quart stock pot.)
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomatoes with chilies
- 1 can kidney beans, thoroughly rinsed
- 1/4 cup minced garlic (if using fresh garlic, use 2 or 3 cloves minced)
- 1 onion chopped
- sausage ring sliced into coins
- salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the sausage into 1/4" wide coins and put in pot.
- Rinse and drain rice and put into the pot.
- Open all diced tomatoes and tomatoes with chilies. Drain the liquid into a large measuring cup and set aside. Add the solids to the pot.
- Open kidney beans and drain. Rinse, drain, and put the beans in the pot.
- Add garlic to the pot.
- Add chopped onions to the pot.
- Add enough water to the liquid off the tomatoes to make 8 cups of liquid.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir all contents.
- Bring to boil. Stir. Turn heat down to medium heat. Cover and simmer 20 minutes until rice is done.