Egg Substitutions for Cakes
- If you bake a cake without eggs, it will not rise properly. For each egg needed, you can substitute two tablespoons of mayonnaise. If you are baking a cake mix that calls for two egg whites, you can use one whole egg instead.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda with 1 tablespoon of white vinegar for each egg.
Egg Substitution for Custards, Pie Fillings, or Dressings
- When making custards, cream pie fillings, or salad dressings, 2 egg yolks can be substituted for one whole egg.
- In yeast dough or cookie recipes, you can substitute 2 egg yolks plus one teaspoon of water for each egg the recipe calls for.
- Flax seed can be used in breads or cookies that work well with a nutty flavor. Use 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds with 3 tablespoons of water for each egg you replace.
Love Eggs? Try These Recipes
Photo credit: earl53